Aug 18, 2022 | M.B.D.A.A. | 1151 views
Preparing for Tryouts
As we start to near the beginning of the try-out season we would like to highlight expectations around attendance at tryouts as well as our Tryout Policy for all of our Cougar Families.
Attendance at Tryouts
All registered players are guaranteed a minimum of 2 tryout skates and those who have been cut from the B (Rep) tryouts are guaranteed 1 additional C (AE) skate to allow Coaches to fairly evaluate the player's skills. If a player cannot attend a tryout skate, for any reason, they must contact the Registrar and Coach Convener prior to the tryout that will be missed. A player must attend the first 2 of the tryout skates to be considered for the B (Rep) or C (AE) team, except under the following circumstances;
a) If a player misses tryouts because of injury, illness, or a transfer from another center, the Coach's Committee and, if applicable, coaches from the child's previous hockey season, will meet and discuss how to proceed. (Place the child on the team if the decision is obvious, or allow for the player to be viewed in an evaluation set up when healthy). Any decision will be pending Board approval.
b) If a player is selected for the B (Rep) team, and refuses the placement on the B (Rep) team, the player will be removed from the B (Rep) system and placed on the LL team in that age group. The C (AE) team is part of the Rep system.
1. The Mt. Brydges & District Athletic Association permits all competitive coaches to select their team. Head coaches are permitted to pick instructors to help with the try-out procedure.
2. The Coaching Convener will approve all on-ice instructors. Additional assistants may be assigned to conduct on-ice drills during the selection period under the direction of the on-ice selection committee.
3. The coordinators and their assistants, during the selection period are responsible for ensuring that all players receive an equal chance to demonstrate their skills. In all cases, every effort will be made to make teams in each age category equal in numbers. If more than one Local League team is entered in a specific age group, the selection committee will recommend equally balanced teams relevant to skill, ensuring all players receive the best possible opportunity to compete.
4. Discussions that take place regarding Evaluations are confidential, and will not be discussed with parents or other people outside the Evaluation process. When a player is cut from a team, parents are not to seek out and contact Evaluators about this. The Coach or groups representative, who contacts the player or parent, is the only one who is to discuss why the player was cut. In doing so, a comparison to any other specific child shall not be used.
5. Requests to allow players to play on other eligible teams will be considered at the discretion of the Executive based on the numbers with the intent to maintain the integrity and spirit of Mount Brydges District Athletic Association.
6. Once team selections have been made by the coaches, they will attempt to notify all players in their age group of their placement via website post. Every effort will be made to notify all players in an age group on the same day by 11pm.
7. The coach of a higher-level team has the right to recall any player from a lower level team at any time up until the final roster date as established by Mt. Brydges & District Athletic Association. Coaches must follow the recommended number of players selected per team as set out by the Executive. The number of players will be set in accordance with registration numbers.